When it comes to getting in an effective workout, most of us gauge our workout success by how sweat-drenched we are after. But is that really an accurate way of measuring the quality of your exercise? Do you need to sweat to have a good workout? We explored the evidence and the answers may shock you…
How much you sweat doesn’t actually matter
That’s right – sweat isn’t an accurate indicator of how good your workout is, as experts have found. Craig Ballantyne, certified trainer and author of Turbulence Training said:
“Sweat depends on a lot of factors, most notably genetics and ambient temperature. You could do 60 minutes of cardio and perspire a lot, but that doesn’t mean you’ll be fitter than if you did 10 minutes of less-sweaty interval training.”
And we believe him.
If sweat levels really meant something, then workouts such as pilates and yoga, wouldn’t be as effective at keeping you toned and fit as they are.
He goes on to say, “Cardio doesn’t address strength, leads to overuse injuries, is highly overrated for fat loss, and doesn’t improve total body muscle endurance.”
“Being in shape means improving health, endurance, and building core muscles, all of which you can do without sweating.”
Sweating is the cooling process your body goes through to help you maintain a steady body temperature – but it’s no workout indicator. Meaning gentle exercise may have a more beneficial role than many would think.
The science behind why gentle exercise can be more rewarding than sweat-heavy, strenuous workouts
The truth is, gentle exercises can be a lot more beneficial than strenuous workouts that leave you sweating buckets.
And if you need the proof, don’t worry, we’ve got it.
- A study from PLOS ONE found that walking is better than the gym and that long periods of gentle exercise are more beneficial than a high-intensity workout. They found that low intensity exercise improves insulin sensitivity and blood lipid levels at a better rate than an hour-long high-octane workout.
- A study from the University of Bath found that demanding exercise regimes provided no extra health benefits than gentle exercise, nor did they burn more fat for people trying to lose weight.
But the best part about gentle workouts is that they’re perfect for anyone.
They help to avoid injury and you can also enjoy the experience of easing into everything, meaning you can also focus on doing your workout properly (shoutout to those of us who know how important “form” can be!).
Why Easy Exercising are the experts of no-sweat, gentle exercise
Easy Exercising all started because owners Andrea and Jessica Curtis were uncomfortable going to the gym, found it somewhat confusing and painful, and wanted something more. And so, following months of research and planning, Easy Exercising was born.
Easy Exercising’s power-assisted exercise machines are unique because of the science behind them. They’ve been meticulously developed and tested over years by industry leaders and are the obvious choice for anyone looking to shape up without breaking a sweat.
These machines realign your body into the correct position and then gently exercise the muscles and joints that have been incorrectly stressed or require healing.
And here at Easy Exercising, we work with physios and chiropractors to determine the exercises you need and our machines then make sure that these exercises are correctly (and gently) carried out.
Our qualified practitioners will monitor, assist and offer suggestions. Every time you need it, we offer one-on-one support to make sure you’re on the right track.
It’s all about creating a personalised, fun and caring environment where each and every person is able to relax and enjoy themselves while taking part in beneficial physical exercise with ease, safety and support.
And the benefits of our power-assisted machines may shock you…
- Improve mobility: small, gentle exercise has been shown to significantly improve mobility in seniors
- Reduce joint pain: moving your body regularly can help reduce joint pain as you age and prevent further damage, we’ll help you build the muscles that support your joints to prevent falls and other injuries
- Reduce diabetes symptoms: gentle exercise can help insulin to work better, maintain a healthy weight, lower blood pressure, reduce the risk of heart disease and stress
- Pre-operative & post-operative therapy: gentle exercise is the key to a healthy recovery from surgery, it reduces the length of stay in hospital and prevents blood clots, improves blood flow and speeds up wound healing
There’s no pain; instead, laughter and a friendly chat as you exercise.
“As usual, a great gentle workout in pleasant company with great advice from Jessica to reset me on the way forward. Feeling more flexible and energised!! Can highly recommend this form of exercise for mature non-gym junkies!” – Roberta
Though many of us have fallen into the belief that a good workout can be gauged by how much we sweat, the evidence proves otherwise. Though strenuous exercise can be beneficial for a number of reasons, gentle, non-strenuous exercise proves both beneficial and safe for all.
Here at Easy Exercising, we’re all about gentle exercise and our power-assisted machines are ready to prove just how easy it is… Sign up for a FREE trial session here to test it out today!